Kernel-source RPM For "Minimal" Fedora Core 2 Installs

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sat May 29 18:48:11 UTC 2004

I did a "minimal" Fedora Core 2 install mainly to play with. You don't
get X with this -- fine by me. To that I wanted to add the rpm's needed
for software development. One of these is the kernel-source RPM. This
package requires qt-devel and gtk2-devel, each of which in turn has a
long list of dependencies. Using rpm -ivh --force... doesn't seem to
work. To keep things small, I installed the kernel src.rpm package, and
edited the spec file to remove the requirement for qt-devel and
gtk2-devel. Then built it with rpmbuild --bb and finally installed the
new kernel-source rpm.

That in turn allowed me to do 'make menuconfig' which is all I really
need for this "play" system.

Is there a less complicated way to get around the qt-devel and
gtk2-devel requirements just to install the kernel source on a system
without X?

Thanks

--
Bob Cochran