test3 vs make xconfig

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat May 1 21:51:36 UTC 2004

On Saturday 01 May 2004 16:25, A1tmblwd at netscape.net wrote:
>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
>>Greets all;
>>
>>I just ran a make xconfig on that fresh install of test3 on my shop
>>box as I wanted to turn on a full fledged ISA bus scan since there
>>are two custom made 8 bit ISA cards containing a few relays and
>>apparently a whole 8 bit wide input port per card, and while I have
>>what appears to be normal fonts elsewhere, all I get on the xconfig
>>screen are gfx chars, little boxes of various shapes and half,
>>quarter, and full moons in a character sized box.
>>
>>That box isn't on a network allthough it may be eventually when I
>> can figure out howto get some cat5 run to the shop building.  I
>> hate digging ditches, been there, done that once already for power
>> out there.
>>
>>Running gnome of course since there is apparently no terminals
>>available if I switchdesk to kde.  And it sure don't look like the
>>kde I'm looking at here!
>>
>>How can I fix these fubared characters?
>>
>>--
>>Cheers, Gene
>
>Use qconfig. It's not broken. If you must use xconfig, an anonymous
> poster in a 2.6.5 kernel forum recommended running qtconfig.
> Deselect (turn off) the option labeled "Enable Anti-Aliased Font
> Support (XFT)". It worked for me.

Thanks Kam.  If you are refering to "make qconfig", thats an error 2,
no such option in the makefile or some such twaddle.

When I arrived up the hill at the shop, and woke up the monitor(I'd
left it running when I came down the hill to send the previous msg),
the screen was trashed, and I had to exit x and restart it to clean
up the screen (I'm using a blank screen as the screensaver).  Now it
seems to me the least fussy screensaver is a blank screen, needs
little of no cpu.  But this is test 3, so...

That machine did pass about 3 full passes of memtest86 nice and
cleanly.

Next suggestion?  Does a make menuconfig still work?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)