[Core2Test3] Installation - No Fedora Core CD

David Lerner dsl at zai.com
Sun May 2 00:37:39 UTC 2004

This is similar to a problem that was seen when installing Red Hat 9 on
a HP DL-380. The CD is initially read by Syslinux using the BIOS to do
CD I/O. The kernel and initrd are loaded and the kernel takes over. A
bug in the ide driver prevented the kernel from detecting the CD drive.
Subsequently the kernel could not find the CD that it booted from.

There are a number of work arounds:

1. The CD can be NFS mounted on a different computer. A network install
can then complete the install.

2. A a partition can be created on the disk with the contents of the
first 2 or 3 CDs. This is cone with a rescue CD or with some other
installed Linux system. The rest of the installation is then completed
by selecting local hard disk for the installation medium.

3. Change the IDE connections for the CD-rom. Perhaps the kernel will be
able to see the drive.

Dave