Adding fc2trc to Grub menu

Steven P. Ulrick ulrick2 at faith4miracle.org
Sun May 2 18:07:23 UTC 2004

Hello, Everyone :)
I did all I reasonbly could to answer this on my own, and I found no
applicable information.
Here's the scenario: I have four devices hooked up to the two ide busses
on my motherboard.  They could be described something like this:
primary master: Western Digital 120 gig HD
primary slave: CD-ROM, indeterminate origin
Secondary Master: Maxtor 120 gig HD
Secondary Slave: Maxtor 40 gig HD

I have grub installed on the master boot record, but I installed FC2TR3
on the Secondary Slave, and chose to install GRUB on that disc, so my
main systems GRUB configuration would not get wiped out.  What I would
like to do is either burn a CD that would boot right to my Fedora Core 2
test release 3 installation, like a boot floppy used to when we could
make those.  Or, I would like to add my Secondary Slave (I'm ASSUMING it
is "hd3", since my grub.conf says that the location of my kernels is
(hd0,0)) to my GRUB boot menu.

The following is my grub.conf, with one kernel from my Fedora Core 1
installation, and my attempt at booting FC2TR3 being the only entries
I'm going to burden you with :):
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2188.nptl)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2188.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb
	initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2188.nptl.img
title Fedora Core 2tr3 (2.6.5-1.327)
	root (hd2,1)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.327 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb
	initrd /initrd-2.6.5-1.327.img

Here, I hope, is the /boot directory that I got the 2tr3 information
from:
grub/
lost+found/
boot.b
chain.b
config-2.6.5-1.327
initrd-2.6.5-1.327.img
memtest86+-1.11
os2_d.b
System.map-2.6.5-1.327
vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.327

I have (hd2,1) in my "root" line in grub.conf, but that is just the last
guess I made at trying to get this to work on my own.  I tried (hd3,0)
and (hd3,1), and nothing worked.

If this has been answered elsewhere, please feel free to just give me a
link to where it's been answered, and I'll be glad to take it from
there.  Of course, if I can't figure it out then, THEN I'll come back to
the experts (you, of course :))

Have a Great Day :)
Steven P. Ulrick