Installation of FCT2: GRUB interactive on 1st install and GRUB hangs on 2nd install

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Mon May 3 03:59:00 UTC 2004

Hi,

Yes, I did that.  It did not work.  I am re-installing for the third
time taking all of the fedora defaults (it sets the paritions of
MBR to /dev/hda, /boot to /dev/hda1, / and swap to /hdb1 and I manually
selected the packages for server setup.  Lets see how that flys....

I noticed tho, that grub-install and grub (interactive) NEVER touches
the /boot/grub.conf file...  hmmmmm. So if your grub.conf is missing
or corrupted...  oh gosh darn, too bad.

Note: previously I fiddled with the paritions and noticed that the
difference
is that / was on /dev/hdb3 parition with no active set and the default
suggested
/ is on /dev/hdb1, with active partition set.  I took the suggested
/boot to be
/dev/hda1 with MBR for /dev/hda (so, I always took the default). I am
wondering
if the / partition *has* to be in the first partition of any drive and
set to active
as I know that /boot has to be the first partition and set to active.  I
thought
that / parition can be anywhere it wants to be.

Sheesh, I spent all day Sat/Sun and getting nowhere with FCT2!
Bad-Karma day I suppose.

Dan