FYI: Script I wrote- Fedorasync.sh

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at ckloiber.com
Mon May 3 05:26:55 UTC 2004

For those who don't know rsync or mkisofs well, but want to make daily
dvd isos of rawhide, and as a side benefit have a local yum repo, I
wrote a script for you.

ftp://people.redhat.com/ckloiber/FedoraSync.sh

Usage: FedoraSync.sh <options> <arch> <source_repo> <local_directory>

-live     No changes are made to the local copy without this.
-del      Passes --delete to rsync, files not existing at the
          source are removed in the local tree.
-paranoid 'touch' all local files, makes rsync verify them
          and avoids corruption. Takes a little longer, but
          I highly recommend it.

-iso      After rsync is complete, create a dvd iso from the
          local tree.
*Note:    -iso enables -live, -del, and -paranoid

-ssh      Passes -e ssh to rsync, so you can use rsync over
          ssh connections.

arch is one of: i386, x86_64, or ppc (ppc untested)

Options can now be given in any order, or ommitted to use
built-in defaults.

I recommend you start by copying your latest CD's or DVD to
/var/ftp/pub/rawhide/$ARCH, (as that is the default local directory my
script uses) then run the script to update that copy to save on
bandwidth a bit.

Enjoy, but please use an rsync mirror near you. As configured it will
use rsync://mirror.linux.duke.edu/fedora-linux-core-development but we
don't want to overload that mirror. Other rsync mirrors can be found at:

http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html

You may have to hunt a bit for the right path at first. When you get it
right, running it with just -del will show which old files will be
deleted, and which will be created. You should not see the arch in the
path of any output. You will see Fedora, isolinux, headers, etc at the
beginning of the test output. Running with -live (or -live -del
-paranoid) will update the local tree, but not make an iso. Using -iso
will enable -live -del and -paranoid automatically, and build an iso
suitable for booting (Yes, it works for me on both i386 and x86_64).
Speaking of x86_64 you can override the arch of the system running the
script to download and burn an x86_64 iso. You might be able to make an
iso for ppc, however I doubt it will boot unless isolinux is supported
there as well. (I have not tested ppc at all as I don't have one. If you
make it work, send patches!)

As a side benefit to all this, the yum headers get downloaded and placed
in your anonymous ftp tree, as well as on the DVD iso. You can then use
either as a local yum repository, further saving bandwidth if you have
many machines to update.

Have fun, I am. :)

--
Chris Kloiber