Status of FireWire/IEEE1394/SBP2 in FC2?

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Wed May 5 00:40:28 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 19:53, Mark Fonnemann wrote:
> maybe officially it was supported but the implementation was quite buggy and
> IMHO unusable (at least for removable disks). The FC2 distribution with the 2.6
> kernels are definitely a tremendous improvement over FC1.

Except for the fact that it (FireWire support) is currently disabled.
But I am looking forward to the improvements in 2.6 for hotpluggable
devices.

> btw, i read somewhere that FC2 will be shipping with a 2.6.6-* kernel. i've
> been following the changelog on kernel.org and i've noticed a lot of ieee1394
> fixes so i'm optimistic FC2 and firewire will be working as intended upon
> shipping.

That sounds very promising.

> also, i recommend the following setup for optimal firewire performance for the
> time being:
>
> [root at markf78 home]# rpm -q fedora-release initscripts SysVinit kernel
> fedora-release-1.92-1
> initscripts-7.50-1
> SysVinit-2.85-25
> kernel-2.6.3-2.1.253.2.1 (last known working firewire kernel)
>
> NB. be sure to "/sbin/chkconfig kudzu off" otherwise the setup will kernel
> panic at boot. i've experienced no problems, bugs, or any other errors with the
> above setup.
>
> hope this helps...

That's very helpful advice. As I said I'm still on RHL9 which is now EOL
and so I need to come up with something to replace my current OS soon.
If nothing prepackaged presents itself I'll follow your advice.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com