Suspend to S1 on 2.6.5-1.350

Vibol Hou vibol at khmer.cc
Thu May 6 11:01:55 UTC 2004

When I suspend into level S1 (echo 1 > /proc/acpi/sleep), it goes into
the S1 state, but I cannot get back out of it the first try.

First time hitting suspend:

Stopping tasks: ========================================================
======|
PM: Entering state.

I hit power button, system appears to come out of S1 but then drops
right back in:

Stopping tasks: ========================================================
======|
PM: Entering state.
Back to C!
PM: Finishing up.
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1d.0 to 64
blk: queue 31d1f574, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
drivers/acpi/osl.c:728: spin_lock(drivers/acpi/osl.c:31edaf84) already
locked by
  drivers/acpi/osl.c/728
drivers/acpi/osl.c:747: spin_lock(drivers/acpi/osl.c:31edaf84) not locked
Restarting tasks... done
Stopping tasks: ========================================================
======|
PM: Entering state.

I press the power button again and then it actually gets out of S1.

This cycle appears to happen consistently once the system is back up.
Hitting suspend puts it in suspend; trying to get out puts it back in
suspend; and the third or fourth try works.  The messages that show up
also differ sometimes but don't pertain to PM stuff (I don't think); if
anyone wants to see them, I'll type them up.

I'm running on a Dell C400 P3 1.2 w/784MB ram.

Also, is there any way to get the kernel not to display these messages
and leave the screen turned off (or turn of the screen)?  I'm sure it's
on for debugging purposes, but I'd like to try to conserve some battery
  life :)  Should recompiling the kernel be the solution, must I patch
or is there a menuconfig option?

-Vibol