FC2T3 questions

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Thu May 6 21:45:06 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 14:12 -0600, Ben Brown wrote:

> First off, when I install RPMs (via the terminal), I get a ton of
> errors, such as:
>
> /etc/security/selinux/file_contexts:  invalid context
> system_u:object_r:default_context_t on line number 1854

> I didn't enable SELinux, so I'm confused as to why I'm getting these
> errors. Is there something else I have to disable?

I think anaconda only sets the variable SELINUX=disabled
in /etc/sysconfig/selinux -- however if you're using a kernel older than
2.6.5-1.349 that does not fully disable selinux, it only does not load a
policy.  No policy loaded leads to these errors about having no valid
context.  To have the kernel not load the selinux security module at
all, you need to boot with 'selinux=0' as a kernel parameter.  Kernel
-1.349 should not need the kernel parameter (and in fact that one
ignores it).

> The second question isn't an issue so much as a "general practices"
> question. Running 'yum check-update' shows quite a few updates available
> for download. I tested FC2test2 briefly, until running 'yum update'
> screwed up the whole system. After installing a test release, is
> updating all the packages recommended?

Yes, but that depends.. if you intend to test for general use then you
should be using the latest packages.  You can then identify quickly when
something changes from package to package, when new gui or setup bugs
start to cause you problems, you won't be reporting problems that are
already fixed... etc.  However, spending time and effort to update many
packages that you did not get a chance to exercise at all can get out of
hand and wasteful.

If you want to test certain programs in a more thorough fashion, then
updating key packages that are related is the way you should go instead.
Then update only what causes problems or might cause problems for those
programs (the idea is just to keep the system fairly stable while
testing that version, then update to the next package and repeat).

--
Andrew Farris, CPE senior (California Polytechnic State University, SLO)
fedora at andrewfarris.com :: lmorgul on irc.freenode.net