cyrus-imap

Will Backman whb at ceimaine.org
Fri May 7 14:05:44 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-07 at 02:21, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 10:08:53PM -0400, David Collantes wrote:
> > Cyrus
> > on FC2 is compiled to use shadow passwords for authentication, so users must
> > exist on the system before a mailbox is created with cyradm.
>
> The main redeeming feature of cyrus, with its huge size and
> really PITA administration, is that it is possible to have
> mailboxes _without_ corresponding accounts on a server.  So
> if this is feature is killed it is difficult to imagine why
> would anybody would want to use _that_.
Just to confirm what I have read:  FC2 will NOT include the UW-IMAPD (I
didn't see this in the release notes)???

If so, and if it it true that cyrus is not a drop-in replacement, can we
start developing some upgrade documentation?  Could people who have done
this upgrade before give some details?

Is dovecot a better choice for those upgrading from UW-IMAPd?