getting external CRT monitor to work on laptop

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Fri May 7 17:11:56 UTC 2004

For using a laptop for a presentation, it is convenient to
configure it for a generic CRT, usually something like 1280x800.
I can't figure out how to do this.

I tried, for example,
system-config-display
Dual head
and then I click
Use dual head
Configure
Generic CRT display
and the OK button remains dim.  I cannot go further.

This may be because system-config-display still does not
recognize my video card (radeon).  But I also cannot type in the
space that asks for a video card for the second monitor.

This may be a bug in system-config-display.

But there may be a way to edito xorg.conf directly.

Jon
Home page:            http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron