dmesg message is confusing me

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Fri May 7 21:18:50 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 04:40:40PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> One of the items I've noticed in /var/log/dmesg, is that while I'm
> supposedly running everything in EXT3 mode, I'm seeing this message
> in the logs when I boot:
>
> date etc EXT2-fs Warning (device hda8) ext2_fill_super: mounting EXT3
> filesystem as EXT2
>
> A bit further on, it notes that all the other partitions are being
> mounted EXT3.
>
> A rerun of tune2fs -j /dev/hda8 returns that the journal already
> exists.
>
> Whats the correct way to fix this?  I hope its fixable, we're having
> some local weather and while I was putting something away in another
> shed, the shop computer was apparently reset and killed by a power
> bump in that one minute 30 I was gone.  That'll be a good use for my
> spare UPS I guess.  Now of course is too late. :(

The stock Fedora kernel doesn't have ext3 support builtin, but as a
module (the same for several others filesystems and drivers).

For the systems that need support for fs or drivers compiled as modules on
bootup, the mkinitrd tries to find the necessary modules and creates an
initrd that loads those modules.

It could be that you removed the initrd configuration in grub.conf or that
the initrd wasn't created properly.

Regards,
Luciano Rocha