startup applications and rhgb

Bob Gill gillb4 at telusplanet.net
Fri May 7 23:50:14 UTC 2004

Hi.  I have one bug and one question.  The bug is with rhgb (the RedHat
graphical boot) in /boot/grub/grub.conf.  I found that with certain
kernels (and I don't know exactly it works with some and not others), it
kills the boot process at the login prompt (and actually kills the box)
while using nvidia (binary) drivers.  I have tested with a few kernels
where the system stalls/dies at the graphical login when using rhgb, but
is successful after removing it (no graphical boot, but no system crash
either).  In all cases, the graphical boot process is successful.  I
suspect the problem may be related to switching from the graphical boot
window to the login prompt window (restarting X).  As Nvidia binaries
are not standard issue, it might not be a bug so much as a warning to
other people wanting to use these drives....
  The (unrelated to the above) question I have is: where (in FC2) is
there a place where I can run an application at GNOME startup?  In FC1
(and RedHat9) there was a place where you could run GNOME/gui startup
apps.  I am tempted to use (from the GConf editor)
desktop/accessibility/startup, but surely there must be a better place
to run my application.
Thanks,
Bob