CD-ROM drive stopped working after upgrade

Leon Stringer leon.stringer at ntlworld.com
Sat May 8 11:59:58 UTC 2004

Hi,

I've just upgraded from FC1 to FC2 test3 and my CD-ROM drive no longer
works: I can't play audio CDs or mount CD-ROMs. E.g. mount /mnt/cdrom
gives me "mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device" (as root or user).

The big change between the two versions is that with FC1 /dev/cdrom
linked to /dev/scd0, whereas now it links to /dev/hdc (presumably this
is some change in kernel 2.6 with the way it handles CD-ROM drives?).

dmesg lists "hdc: SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-332B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive" so
presumably /dev/cdrom is linking to the correct location.

Can anyone give any advice on troubleshooting this? Is it a problem with
my setup? It wouldn't be much good for users to upgrade from FC1 to FC2
and find they lose their CD drives!

Thanks,

Leon...