VMware error with kernel-2.6.5-1.326

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Sat May 8 18:56:07 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 20:53 -0700, Sponger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is regarding this old post(I know IM SORRY!).
>
> I have followed all the instructions given in all these correspondences
> here, and am still having a problem installing vmware 4.05-6030.
> I untared the vmware-any-any-update59 into the VMWARE dircetory in my
> /home/sponger directory.  Then I cd'ed into that update directory and
> ran ./runme.pl and it asks me for the directory of my C header files,
> and per the directions in one of the emails this is what I gave it:
> /lib/modules/2.6.5-1.332/build/kernel/
> and this is the msg it gives me:
> "The kernel defined by this directory of header files does not have the same
> address space size as your running kernel."
>
> So then being a noob I tried all the other directories in /lib/modules
> of the other kernels installed on my system, but then it complains thats
> not the right kernel and wants the .332 version....but it gives me that
> error.....
>
> Any ideas?

Late response to a late post - get the free upgrade to VMware 4.5.1-7568
and the vmware-any-any-update65 and try again.  If you have properly
installed both the kernel and corresponding kernel-source RPMS, VMware
should find the correct headers itself and provide that as the default
selection.  Some posts have indicated that kernel-source is not required
but I can't verify that.

Phil