Call for Yum Frontend

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat May 8 19:38:08 UTC 2004

On Saturday 08 May 2004 13:55, seth vidal wrote:
>On Sat, 2004-05-08 at 12:09 -0500, Jason Knight wrote:
>> Yum is such a great package management program (very well designed
>> except maybe for having to get all the headers) and stable, yet
>> for some reason we expect the average home user to bust out
>> his/her x-term and learn the in's and out's of yum CLI usage? (not
>> to mention config file management ). Sure you might say, there is
>> apt and synaptic, a wonderfully userfriendly combination but
>> again: these would require the usage of yum and text line repo
>> management to install on any stock fedora system.
>
>Thanks for the kind words.
>
>look on the fedora-config-list and you can see some of that
> discussion there.
>
>I've been rewriting considerable portions of yum with this in mind.
>
>it takes time, b/c I'm trying to keep from making a bunch of the
> same mistakes and getting rid of the 'download all the headers'
> requirement that everyone seems to hate.
>
>-sv
Frankly, I don't see how you can get away from downloading the
headers, I can't visualize another way to positively find out whats
new and different.

Personally, I'm on a dsl connection, so that doesn't bother me, but
I'd imagine the ppp0 users are looking at their phone bill if their
time isn't unlimited as is the case in many countries.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)