Call for Yum Frontend

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Sun May 9 14:17:41 UTC 2004

D James wrote:

> seth vidal wrote:
>
>> Up2date's interface makes it difficult to perform certain tasks. For
>> updating packages it works a treat, but for selecting new things to be
>> packaged and/or removing item it can become a bit cumbersome.
>> Something that was discussed on fedora-config-list was if
>> system-config-packages interface could be coupled to one of the various
>> backends to help with the interface. A redesign of the up2date ui to be
>> geared more toward installation/removal/etc of packages instead of just
>> updating would also be adequate.
>
> I definately think system-config-packages needs to be upgraded and
> tied into yum and apt.  This will make it

> a true "Pacakge Managment" tool

"system-config-packages" a great name for few features.

absolutely correct,
we are missing since a very long time a true gui *package management tool*
which gives us all the possibilities from
rpm, (rpmbuild), up2date, yum, apt, ...

- add/remove new rhn-sources: yum, apt, dir, ...
- install/update/freshen/remove single/multiple packages via ftp, http,
dir, ...
- list/search  installed/not-installed  packages
- ...

https://listman.redhat.com/archives/shrike-list/2003-May/msg00241.html
<snip>
/Subject/: Re: I'm new, Is there a gnorpm or kpackage available to RH9?
[...]
eg.
# rpm -Uvh ftp://updates.redhat.com/9/en/os/i386/your_packages*

it would be great if
   redhat-config-packages
would handle this too

</snip>

https://listman.redhat.com/archives/shrike-list/2003-May/msg00367.html
<snip>

[... I would really like a gui package once again.
And I agree with you on wishing redhat-config-packages had these options
that were once very used by myself in Kpackage ...]

I'm working on a number of improvements to redhat-config-packages at the
moment, so I hope to address some of these issues in the near future.
Sorry that I don't have anything better for you at the moment.  :)

Cheers,
   Brent
</snip>

i could not find these improvements.
afair in system-config-packages fc2t1  were some new features,
but it seems the these were removed :-(

--
shrek-m