MySQL and Apache Updates

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Sun May 9 14:45:23 UTC 2004

Leonard den Ottolander wrote:

>>MySQL has some licensing changes for 4.0 which mean it can't be used
>>with php, or apache or many other free but non-GPL pieces of software
>>(eg openssl).
>>

>Any update from the legal department on this one? I was under the
>impression effort was being put into resolving these issues. By the way,
>I don't think there was ever a problem with php. And weren't these
>licensing issues with 4.1 instead of 4.0?

eg.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2003-August/msg00282.html

<snip>
On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Thien Ho wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> A few weeks ago, I saw mysql-4.0.13 source RPM in Rawhide. It's gone now. Does
> anyone know why? Just curious :).

Its been discussed before.  The short answer is the license for the 4.x
client libraries was to restrictive (I believe it was GPL rather LGPL) and
RedHat and MySQL are trying to work the whole thing out.

</snip>

and thousands other threads with no effect :-(
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/test/1.92/SRPMS/mysql-3.23.58-9.src.rpm

http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing/opensource-license.html
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/

3.23 - older production release

----not in fedora----
4.0  - production release (recommended)

----surely not in the near future in fedora----
4.1  - Alpha release (use this for new development)
5.0  - Development tree (use this for previewing and testing new features)

--
shrek-m