YAST and YUM Front-end

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Sun May 9 23:29:56 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 00:09, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> People suggest a lot of things...but it doesn't mean they have a
> significant perspecifive to understand the full ramifications of their
> comments. Its not clear to me that the all-in-one package management
> AND system configuration tool that YAST is the best way forward. There
> is an argument that seperate configuration tools  are a better
> approach.

I couldn't agree more.

> Excuse me while I don't hold my breath, YaST does far more than just
> do package management, why not chearlead for Novell's other package
> management product Red Carpet, the product thats actually born as open
> source. Oh I know why, becuase YaST is the cool new buzzword thanks to
> it being open sourced. Lets see if Novell "standardizes" internally on
> YaST and kicks Red Carpet to the curb before we start jumping on the
> one true setup tool bandwagon.

I've been wondering how long it would take for someone to mention Red
Carpet. Red Carpet is a seriously good application. It pretty much
encompasses the functionality of yum, apt, up2date and
redhat-config-packages, and does some extra stuff too (for example, you
can ask it to install an RPM you have downloaded from somewhere or built
yourself and it will try and install all the dependencies for you). I've
been using Red Carpet ever since Ximian released it, and version 2 and
upwards are very impressive. I always install it on any machine I use
and use it in preference to the distro tools.

There is no way Novell will ever kick Red Carpet to the curb: it's the
primary reason they bought Ximian in the first place (and that's been
confirmed more than once by the Ximian guys: Ximian was bought for Red
Carpet primarily, and Evolution and Ximian Desktop were just icing on
the cake). If you watched any of the videos from Novell Brain Share
you'd have seen Red Carpet in action all over the place.

Given that Red Carpet is completely open source is there some reason it
doesn't seem to have even been considered so far?

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com