CD-ROM drive stopped working after upgrade

Ted ted at trufflesdad.plus.com
Mon May 10 08:11:17 UTC 2004

On Saturday 08 May 2004 13:39, you wrote:
> I already have this entry (kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.327 ro
> root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi rhgb nofb). I didn't put it there so I guess
> Anaconda did. But my CD drive is still not working.
>
> Ted wrote:
> >On Saturday 08 May 2004 12:59, Leon Stringer wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I've just upgraded from FC1 to FC2 test3 and my CD-ROM drive no longer
> >>works: I can't play audio CDs or mount CD-ROMs. E.g. mount /mnt/cdrom
> >>gives me "mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device" (as root or
> >> user).
> >>
> >>dmesg lists "hdc: SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-332B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive" so
> >>presumably /dev/cdrom is linking to the correct location.
> >
> >In my previous post I mentioned have to put ide-scsi in grub to get cd
> > devices running although popular opinion says it is not needed...

Yes but after LABEL you have  hdc=ide-scsi....I have to have just ide-scsi..NO
hdc=.....Others have to remove this syntax altogether
..It is supposedly not needed with the 2.6 kernel but I need ide-scsi although
a couple of my friends do not.....Give it a try and see what happens....
AS a matter of interest in Debian I do not need it and in Debian  cdrecord
-scanbus gives a different readout than the Fedora one...

--
Regards
  Ted Wager