SCSI sg driver does not see the devices.

Jurgen Botz jurgen at botz.org
Mon May 10 20:26:28 UTC 2004

Alan Cox wrote:
> Arjan when I asked him says its intentional that /dev/sg now only sees devices
> not claimed by other drivers (the other drives support SG_IO so you can open
> them and do raw stuff thst way)
>
> Unfortunately the disk fimware tool doesnt know that

Neither do cdparanoia or grip.  And probably there are other
apps that don't know what to do.

I'm really pretty flabergasted by Arjan's attitude to this...
I'm totally sympathitic to the goal of deprecating the sg
driver, but I don't understand how you can just simply change
the behvior at this stage in the FC2 cycle and knowingly
release FC2 with a bunch of broken apps.  I mean this change
should have been made at the start of the FC2 test cycle and
properly announced so people could fix broken apps, right?

And furthermore, while Arjan has now a bunch of times said
things like "you don't need sg to burn CDs", etc., this is
the first time that I actually heard anywhere that this
latest sg behavior is intentional, and exactly what that
behavior is, despite the fact that I've been screaming about
it being broken, and have filed bugs, etc.

I mean WHAT... THE... FQ#$%#@$^#$!????!!!!????  Is that the
Fedora community process?????????

I could probably fix the broken apps myself and I might
even be willing to put in the time to do that, but how can
I if no one communicates what's really going on?

In case you haven't noticed, I'm a tad pissed off.

:j