Latest yum update...Quake III and UT2004 no workie

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Tue May 11 03:23:40 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 21:33 -0500, ByteEnable wrote:
> On Monday 10 May 2004 19:34, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 May 2004 19:24:01 -0500, ByteEnable <byteenable at austin.rr.com>
> wrote:
> > > I found my problem after reading my own post.  The MESA drivers in Xorg
> > > confused the NVidia the GL drivers.  I just simply reinstalled the GL
> > > portion of the NVidia drivers and everything is working again.
> >
> > I think you got that backwards... nvidia's installer confuses the two.
> > nvidia's install delibrately overwrites file locations that mesa's gl is
> > using. File locations managed by the rpm database.  You use nvidia's
> > installer, and you are working against the distribution package
> > management system. Once you use nvidia's installer... how is rpm
> > suppose to know that xorg's mesa update is overwriting files nvidia
> > placed?
>
> Nope....The update trashed my NVidia OpenGL install.
>
> Byte

Think you still missed the point, the update didn't trash your nVIDIA
install.. it 'corrected' your Mesa install (that nVIDIA had trashed).
In the future, use livna.org's packaged nVIDIA driver which relocates
the libraries in a sane location.. and stops blasting the Mesa libraries
to hell.. then this shouldn't be a problem anymore.

--
Andrew Farris, CPE senior (California Polytechnic State University, SLO)
fedora at andrewfarris.com :: lmorgul on irc.freenode.net