perldoc display with data missing

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu May 13 19:06:37 UTC 2004

that has been posted to gmane.comp.lang.perl.beginners as well.

My setup:
OS    = Linux (FedoraCore1 test2)

I see an actual loss of data in reading perldoc output from an xterm
if my term is sized a little small.

I'll show a repeatable example (here anyway):

xterm -geometry 65x20 &

In that xterm call:
perldoc POSIX

In that page search for past
  (/past <ENTER>)

The hit shows up above the visable page and much of the line is just
missing.  Not just scambled but actually missing.

You can see the missing data by calling:

perldoc POSIX > file
  less file

then search for /past again
Or perldoc POSIX in an 85x30 xterm.

My term is xterm and LANG is en_US.UTF-8

I don't think was a problem in the recent past as I've used
undersized xterms for years.