2.6 and Blanking Screen

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Thu May 13 22:30:16 UTC 2004

Quasar Jarosz wrote:

> On Wed, 12 May 2004, Jim Cornette wrote:
>

>>Jason KRISCH wrote:
>>
>>>I was wondering if anyone else on this list was experiencing similar
>>>results:
>>>
>>>With FC2T3 on my laptop (HP Pavilion ze5200) I had several issues with
>>>the screen going blank (and the backlight turning off too) during boot.
>>>It seemed to happen at random places at different times during boot.
>>>The system
>>>would be locked as far as I could tell and I had to power off.  I have
>>>since tried passing "vga=773" or "vga=normal" to the kernel at boot time
>>>and both seem to get me past the screen going blank.  (I also pass
>>>"psmouse.proto=imps" so I can tap-click with my touchpad.)
>>>
>>>However, when I exit X - no matter what runlevel I am running in, the
>>>screen goes immediately blank, backlight is powered off, and as far as I
>>>can tell
>>>the laptop is locked up.  This applies to "Log Out", "Reboot", and
>>>"Shutdown".  I have found no related entries in my logs.  I have also
>>>tried passing "acpi=off" to the kernel.
>>>
>>>Anyone else have issues like this?  I think it is a 2.6 issue more than
>>>a FC2 issue.
>>
>>I have an hp ze4315us that has a VGA compatible controller: ATI
>>Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility U1.
>>
>>I tried the 2.5 kernel on it. It seemed to work alright then. (Shutting
>>down X) - That was back awhile ago.
>>
>>I'd suspect the problem to be with xorg or some other non-kernel issue.
>>
>>I might try to install the 2.6 kernel on this machine to see if the
>>kernel is not the problem. I stayed at FC1 because of the touchpad
>>issue. (Doesn't just work).
>>
>>About acpi, I cannot boot without acpi. My laptop freezes up at boot
>>without it.
>>
>>Follow-up after installing the latestv Fedora Core 2 kernel on FC1. I'd
>>like to try FC2, but was waiting for the synaptic touchpad issue to be
>>cleared up.
>>
>>Jim
>>

> I've got a Pavillion ze4430us, with the same ATI Mobility U1 card, that
> FC2 auto-detects and uses the radeon driver with. I have no problems on
> any of the latest kernels. I've seen the blanking problem on other
> laptops, but have had no trouble with this one. It works just fine for me.
> I'd really like the hardware aceleration to work.. but i guess i'll have
> to wait on it.

Looks like I lucked out on avoiding the blanking problem. I had an old
laptop that used s3-virge earlier and it bloomed instead of blanked.

Thanks for the additional information. I figured one vendor, similar
hardware.

> As for the synaptics touch-pad, it was sad that it's not auto-detected,
> however, given that the FC2 release date is very close at hand, unless
> it's arleady been "fixed", i doubt support will be in the official FC2
> release.
>
> I can say however, that setting it up was very easy - just grab the
> synaptics driver, unzip, compile, install, and change the driver lines in
> your xorg.conf, just like the install file from the driver says. It works
> great after that, no problems at all.

This is the first real 2.6 kernel that I used. I'll have to get the
synaptic program and do the unzipping, ... installing, manual
configuration, as descried. The 2.6 kernel does seem a bit quicker. The
added work won't hold me back from FC2 final.

Thanks,

Jim

PS - Sorry Jason, I figured HP laptop = hp laptop. Does the blanking
problem happen at all resolutions on exit?