When can we see the inclusion of Video Players for RedhatFedora?

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Fri May 14 15:52:45 UTC 2004

Alan Cox wrote:

>On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 12:15:40AM +0200, Martin Stricker wrote:
>

>>So what about moving to a place with more reasonable laws? This is
>>becomming annoying - many other distros have video players on board.
>>

>I would expect that to change. SuSE is now Novell owned so the moment
>Novells legal team finish a patent audit there is bound to be fallout.
>
>If you want truely free video then help finish Theora.

Legal Smegol. ;-)

Does any one remember the days, when RH used to provide a disk with
"Commercial and Demo Applications". When you installed the app, there
was a notice informing you that you had to get a license.

Why don't we switch from yum to apt, install synaptic and then have
a configuration option or preference option that allows people to
access "commercial or unsupported applications" and it enables non
RH repositories with these other apps.

Synaptic is a great package manager, and it not only allows you to
update applications you have installed, but it also allows you to
install any application from the configured repositories.

As long as RH does not have any of the apps at issue on their site
and do not allow access to such software by default, I can't see
how making it easier for people to get the said software could be
a problem for RH. Maybe someone with legal knowledge could comment.