Working Firewire in FC2?

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Sat May 15 01:54:15 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 19:37, Dave Jones wrote:
> The current SuSE kernel has just under 1,000 patches (no exaggeration).
> This is a path we're absolutely not taking with Fedora. What happens
> when you want to run mainline 2.6.6 on a SuSE 9.1
> installation? Answer: It'll explode the same way that it does in Fedora.
>
> Red Hat has taken a beating in the past for heavily patched kernels
> "I installed mainline, and everything broke, Red Hat are trying to
> lock us into using their kernel, blah blah".
>
> One of the goals of Fedora is to stick with mainline as closely as
> possible. This means getting Firewire fixed *there* instead of carrying
> around patches in a vendor tree.

Just a quickie to say that I for one think that this is entirely the
right path for Fedora. It wouldn't be for SUSE, or RHL when it still
existed, and obviously not for RHEL, but for Fedora I do believe that
this is the right policy.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com