Working Firewire in FC2?

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Sat May 15 20:54:33 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 15:39, Laurent GUERBY wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 20:37, Dave Jones wrote:
> > The current SuSE kernel has just under 1,000 patches (no exaggeration).
> I'm curious on how you're counting. I installed SuSE 9.1 on my laptop
> (my other machine is running FC1, I previously tried FC2t1 and FC2t3 and
> filed a few bugzilla for my laptop). I'm not too familiar with SuSE SRPM
> (having followed Red Hat for a few years) but it looks like patches are
> in files like patches.xxx.tar.bz2, when I count files for all the xxx
> tarballs in kernel-source-2.6.4-54.5 I find 485, about 100 seems
> trivially not relevant for FC2 comparison x86/amd64 (ppc, s390, uml,
> various helper scripts, selection of patches from > 2.6.4 vanilla
> kernel).

Grabbing the 'kernel of the day' from
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/mantel/kernel-of-the-day/i386/kernel-source-2.6.5-15.12.src.rpm
You'll find they're currently up to 1031 patches.

>  The remaining number is of course still big but the interesting
> thing will be wether the number goes toward zero when future 2.6 kernel
> are released.

Doubtful. As you see above, they had 485 patches with a 2.6.4 kernel,
and after rebasing to 2.6.5, they somehow ended up with over twice as
many patches.
(Likely some of the new patches are again, taken from post 2.6.5 -bk
snapshots, but that's still a hell of a growth problem they have there)

> I'm not following LKML or bitkeeper, so I don't know
> if these patches get submitted upstream.

A lot of the stuff they've applied is very likely not to get included in
2.6, or even 2.7 when it opens without significant rewriting.

	Dave