Fedora 2 Final - yum/up2date vs. ISO's

Stan Bubrouski stan at ccs.neu.edu
Sun May 16 17:52:47 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-16 at 13:28, David L Norris wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 09:22, Rory Gleeson wrote:
> > Any thoughts on the value of actually downloading the ISO's and
> > installing or updating with them vs. just letting up2date and yum take
> > you over to Fedora Core 2 final?
>
> Short answer: you should not try to upgrade from FC1 to FC2 using
> YUM/APT.  Anaconda needs to do the upgrade for you.  You may be able to
> do an upgrade using the boot.iso CD image.

Why not?  Hell this system started as FC1 and I updated it to test2 fine
and now I'm using latest rawhide... what's wrong with Yummin' it up?
Any specific problems you can think of?

> The Fedora Core 2 installation, at the very least, needs to be run under
> kernel 2.6.  Maybe you could use YUM/APT to upgrade but the system may
> not work afterward.

This is true.  The first thing I did was install 2.6.0-test9 back a few
months ago (at 1.6.5-1.358 now), and then upgrade the other packages in
increments, seems to work fine.  I haven't had any issues with this
approach, my system is running better than before... aside from new bugs
in kernel 2.6.5-1.x...

> Some discussion on the topic:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-April/msg01102.html

The e-mail seems to insinuate its technically impossible?  I can attest
to quite the contrary...

-sb