How to help? was Re: Serious reservations about FC2 release on 5/18

Anthony DeStefano destefan at vaxcave.com
Mon May 17 17:59:28 UTC 2004

>> Has no one simply tried this?
>>
>> For Windows XP, boot from the install CD and enter the Recovery
>> Console.
>> Then issue the command:
>> Code:
>> bootcfg /rebuild
>>

>> This fixes the bootloader for windows xp. But I do not know if it will
>> work in this situation.
>> I cannot test this as I do not have this problem.
>>

>> Law
>
> Let me know if it works or not. I hope it helps.

This does not work.  Something (fdisk or grub) is overwriting information
that it shouldn't be.  I've looked at it a bit and you can see it in the
Partition Magic attachment in the bug report.  What's happening is after
these changes are made on the primary disk (hda), the BIOS is thinking
that it should be using CHS mode instead of LBA.  Things point more
towards grub then fdisk; since in my experience it happens even when I
don't repartition.

Here's my system:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe using onboard IDE controller
80GB WD drive (hda)
17GB Maxtor drive (hdc)

Some people reported it only happens with large disks (> 120GB), but
that's not the case here.

That's as far as I've gotten.  I do want to help all I can, but haven't
had anytime to dig deep.

--Anthony

--
Anthony DeStefano