uw-imap from FC1 works on FC2

Will Backman whb at ceimaine.org
Tue May 18 01:35:09 UTC 2004

Rick Johnson wrote:

> Will Backman wrote:
>
>> Just a note for those of you who don't want to change mail server
>> software just yet...
>> It looks as though the RPM for uw-imap from FC1 works on FC2. (At least
>> imap does, didn't try pop3) Perhaps this rpm can be submitted to
>> fedora.us as a starting point.
>> It is only version 2002d plus patches, and the current version is 2004,
>> but this might help us out until I (or anyone else) can rebuild from the
>> FC1 spec file.
>>
>> Does this sound like crazy talk?
>

> Somewhat - Dovecot (the new default) out of the box supports mbox.
> Only minor changes are required to transition from uw-imap to Dovecot.
> One may be the client mail prefix (which can be fixed in the config to
> behave similarly to uw-imap), and the other being the migration of the
> .mailboxes file to .subscriptions (to manage client mailbox
> subscriptions).
>
> In the end, it's not a difficult migration if you're handy with
> scripts, and doing such a migration opens the door for many other
> nifty upgrades such as moving from mbox to maildir (to allow
> simultaneous mailbox access, etc.). The biggest benefit, however, is
> the performance increase your users will notice since dovecot indexes
> messages externally.
>
> HTH,
> -Rick

Except that we use some shared mailboxes, and I really like the mailadm
group feature of uw-imap that lets mail admins log in as anyone.  On top
of that, uw-imap is quite well tested, and dovecot has some interesting
"worries" listed on their web site.  Not saying that it is bad, I am
just scared of the unknown.  uw-imap has a lot of documentation,
including half of the Oreilley book managing IMAP.
I tried dovecot from FC2T3, which seg faults, and I had to download a
version that backed out the last patch from the author to get it
working.  I guess once bitten twice shy.