Why is "LANG=en_US.UTF-8" the default in Fedora

Shahms King shahms at shahms.com
Fri May 21 19:05:40 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 11:42, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com> said:
> > You just need to learn that a) sorting is defined by hundreds of years
> > old specifications in the USA, b) A-Za-z is not US sort order and c)
> > how to use the tools right
>
> The thing about the en_US locales and sorting that annoys me is that "ls
> -A" treats the leading "." funny.  Dotfiles are interspersed with
> non-dotfiles, with ".ccc" sorting after "cbb" but before "Ccc".  I guess
> ".c" is treated as a single character, with the sort order being ".c",
> "C", and "c"?

That was not something I had noticed until you mentioned it.  Oddly, I
don't have an opinion on that issue at the moment ;-)

> That's just confusing.  That may follow some definition, but it breaks
> long-time Unix "ls -A" sorting where dotfiles come first.  On my
> personal systems, I sometimes just put "LC_COLLATE=C" in
> /etc/sysconfig/i18n.  I know that is "wrong", but I like what I'm used
> to.

While the sorting may be wrong, that's the "correct" way to solve the
problem: change you local configuration.  You're not advocating changing
the default to "broken".

--
Shahms King <shahms at shahms.com>