keyboard and mouse stop working after starting X

oliver frommel oliver at firstfloor.org
Wed Nov 3 20:22:22 UTC 2004

Hello,
after several successful upgrades to RC5 I am having some problems
with keyboard and mouse on another machine. On boot everything
works fine, both deviced get detected properly:

input: ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse on isa0060/serio1
input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0

When I try to start X (Nvidia board) the machine seems to
lock up. However it just seems to lose control over keyboard
and mouse.

The X server says:
(EE) Mouse0: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Mouse0"

Of course the device that's configured in xorg.conf
doesn't exist:
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"

Isn't udev supposed to take care for that?
Or do I really have to supply the strange device names
from above in the X config?
Additionally mouse and keyboard stopped working in
the console, too.

thanks for your help
Oliver