yum upgrade?

Andrew cmkrnl at speakeasy.net
Thu Nov 4 04:57:48 UTC 2004

seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 13:55 -0500, Elliot Lee wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, Truls Gulbrandsen wrote:
>>

>>>I am planning to upgrade my laptop (TP23) from fc2 to fc3.  Since I
>>>don't have /home as seperate partition I was thinking of doing av yum
>>>upgrade
>>
>>Don't do that!
>>

>>>rather than a clean install.
>>
>>Don't do that!
>>
>>Upgrade via anaconda. :)
>>-- Elliot
>

> Why not? All of the upgrades I've done (only 3 so far) from fc2->fc3rc*
> have gone just fine with yum.
>
> Have you encountered problems?
>
> -sv

No problems doing upgrades from fc2->fc3rc  -- and for two machines as well.
(Since I am not the brightest light in socket -- yum must be pretty solid)

Even taking that into consideration -- I have to say:
1) yum ROCKS!
2) sv is the arguably the most patient guy.  -- Always watching and replying to
    any yum subject messages -- and that is after dealing the complexity of
    getting yum to do its thing in the first place, and making some -- no, make
    that -- a lot of *very* impressive updates to yum along the way. If anyone
    doubts it is complicated, try to think of *everything* you would need to do
    to upgrade your car from a 2002 Saab to a 2004, part by part while
    driving it! Not a great analogy, but the point is valid. Plus, I'll bet
    that yum is not the only thing he works on.
3) Anyone who has tried to update more than 2 packages that have *dependencies*
    knows that yum is more than yummy! :)
                                  ^
                                  +-- sorry couldn't help it.

Andrew