FC3 Torrents available? [Was: FC3 ISOs alerady online?]

Uday Kumar Reddy udayreddy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 18:12:23 UTC 2004

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 17:36:53 +0100, Daniel Roesen <dr at cluenet.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 11:21:55AM -0500, William Hooper wrote:
> > > doesn't bittorrent work better when there are more people using it?
> > > shouldn't everybody be using the same torrent?
> >
> > In theory, yes everybody should be using the same torrent.  In practice,
> > though, having a torrent for two geographical locations (one Americas, one
> > Europe) prevents your torrent client from having to go over the slow,
> > across the ocean links.
>
> The problem are not "slow transoceanic links" per se as I hardly
> experience any congestion issue on those nowadays.
>
> The problem is the delay those longhaul links generate, and thus
> limit TCP performance massively.
>
> Ever seen FTP with more than about 3mbit/s transatlantic? No? This is
> NOT because of a lack of bandwidth!
>
> So the aim of seperating trackers is not avoiding small bandwidth links,
> but high RTT (delay) links, which directly affects TCP performance.

I understand what you are saying. But, isn't it that the link delay
doesn't matter for large transfers? For large transfers, the link
delay is just reflected as the startup time. So, an 'n' mbps link
whether it is transatlantic or close-by would almost take the same
time to transfer data for _large_ files/streams. So, I think its
congestion that justifies having seperate trackers.

-- Uday