wget problem or me

Rob van Nieuwkerk robn at verdi.et.tudelft.nl
Thu Nov 11 11:37:55 UTC 2004

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 04:20:25 -0700
Greg Morgan <drkludge at cox.net> wrote:

> Rob van Nieuwkerk wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 06:07:08 -0700
> > Greg Morgan <drkludge at cox.net> wrote:

> >>I saw the announcement of wget Karsten Hopp on the Announcement list.
> >>..."This new release of wget adds support for large files >2Gb, p.e. DVD
> >>ISOs."...  I was trying to ftp the DVD ISO file.  The ftp transfer was
> >>hung. It may have been killed by the ftp server. I had to kill the ftp
> >>transfer.  I downloaded the wget rpm and used rpm -Fvh to install it on
> >>FC2.  wget -V reports
> >>wget -V
> >>GNU Wget 1.9+cvs-stable (Red Hat modified)
> >>I used wget -c
> >>ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/3/i386/iso/FC3-i386-DVD.iso last
> >>night before going to bed.  I woke up to
> >>87% [+++++++++++++++++++++========>     ] 2,147,476,904   12.92K/s  ETA
> >>4:08:22File size limit exceeded
> >

> >>The complete trace of the session follows.  I am leaving for work.
> >>Please let me know if I need to buzilla this because it is not pilot error.
> >

> > Hi Greg,
> >
> > Please wait with bugzilla: I suspect it is a problem on your side.
> >
> > Can you please give the output of the following commands:

Hi Greg,

> > 3.  "rpm -qi wget"
>
> Name        : wget                         Relocations: (not relocatable)
> Version     : 1.9.1                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
> Release     : 16.fc2                        Build Date: Wed 27 Oct 2004

OK, you have the right version (just to make sure).

> > 4.  "df ." (in the working dir)
> >
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> baloo:/home/fdrive   183800916  47490516 126973828  28% /home/fdrive

> > 5.  "mount"
>

> baloo:/home/fdrive on /home/fdrive type nfs (rw,nfsvers=2,addr=172.20.3.55)

You are trying to download the image to a mounted NFS v2 filesystem.
The maximum filesize on NFS v2 is 2 GB.  So that explains why wget
stopped at 2 GB.  Do your download on a different filesystem that
does not have this limit (for example a local filesystem or NFS
version >= 3) and it will work.  Not a wget problem !

	greetings,
	Rob van Nieuwkerk