The new file selector and hidden files

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Thu Nov 11 19:34:54 UTC 2004

Will Backman wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 14:54 +0100, D. Stolte wrote:
>

>>right click in the file listing part of the window :)
>>
>>/ds
>>

>It is such a bummer when features are hidden behind right-click menus.
>Makes the interface harder to use.

Personally I think some things should be intuitive but at the same time
education is required. I've been using PC's since I was 12 or 13, and it
did not take me long to learn that many things can be accessed through a
right click, and it became the second, or first thing to try.
I personaly do not feel that "hiding" some thing behind right clicks
makes it harder to use, and I would rather the interface was not
cluttered up.

>This is why apple ships with single button mouse.  Developers know that
>any right-click features have to also be in a menu or configuration
>dialog.

I like the interface where right clicking on files, or Cell's in Calc,
or highlighted words in Write, or Links in firefox, or emails in
evolution (should I go on with the or's?) gives a context menu and
additional options.
A user is greeted with this in all of the applications they use, I don't
see why it should not be the same in the drop down list.

However, that being said, it may be advantagous to have some thing like
"show hidden files" and a check box, that has it stated remembered for
certain directories (I would almost never want it in ~/).

Well just my breif, garbled thoughts.

Doug