Gnome can not start

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Mon Nov 1 10:54:13 UTC 2004

Hi Darek,

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 08:28, Darek Borkowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there are MANY ways to reach point where gnome does not load ofter
> logging in gdm. This problem is of the HIGHEST SEVERITY, as it
> dissallow any gnome using. The problem was signalized by me in few
> times bugzilla.redhat.com, but it seems all those bugs remain as NEW
> ?!?!
> (bug numbers 134169, 134212, 136081, 137778

	Each of these bugs seem to be a manifestation of more or less the same
problem - you save your session and gnome-session hangs on login. Some
advice on how to proceed:

  1) By the looks of the bugs, things seem to be getting more and
     more buggy as time progresses. Have you been upgrading from
     FC1 to FC2 to FC3 etc.? If not, please try a clean install -
     things can get screwed up when you just keep upgrading like this.

  2) The contents of your ~/.gnome2/session and an strace/backtrace of
     would be very helpful to us in figuring out what is causing these
     bugs. To get an strace, you can log in to a failsafe session and
     run "strace -ttt gnome-session". To get a backtrace of
     gnome-session once it has hung see:

  http://fedora.linux.duke.edu/wiki/index.cgi/StackTraces#bugbuddygdb

Thanks,
Mark.