Gnome can not start

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Nov 1 19:11:18 UTC 2004

On 11/01/2004 10:43:49 AM, Darek Borkowski wrote:

> > Are you running any third party updates to fedora provided
> software?
> Of course, I have few repositories configured in apt-get/synaptic
> (dries, ATrpms, freshrpms, DAG, livna, macromedia, gnugadu) and use
> it
> extensively

I suspect that's the problem.
Some of those repositories will replace packages installed by Fedora,
and that's when your liklihood of getting problems increases.

fedora and livna repositories do not replace fedora core packages, but
some of those others will (I believe freshrpms does for example). I
generally recommend against adding repositories that replace packages
installed by the OS. In fact - I wish rpm checked the vendor string and
required a force to upgrade a OS vendor package with a non OS vendor
package.