Recognising Partitions

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue Nov 2 17:29:17 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 04:58:08PM +0000, David Franks wrote:
> ... and just identified the NTFS ones giving me a
> message that they were not supported even for read only.

None of Red Hat distros ever supported NTFS for reasons which
were repeated on this list over and over again.  See archives
and also http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

> ...  so long as I enter the appropriate lines in fstab.
>
> Did this automatic facility disappear on purpose or by accident, and is
> there some way I can get it to start again without having to manually
> add things to fstab?

Mounting automatically everything "in blind" which happens to lay
around can screw you very badly in more ways than one (security,
things which are really parts of RAID volumes, file systems which
really belong to other installations and which selinux can make
unmountable there by adding attributes - ugh!, ... ).  This is a bit
more selective nowadays.  If you have some file system you want
always mounted at a particular mount point then adding it to
/etc/fstab sounds like exactly the correct thing to do.

   Michal