Issue in glibc in FC3T3 ?

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Tue Nov 2 20:52:49 UTC 2004

tir, 02.11.2004 kl. 10.50 skrev Ron Yorston:
> >Elliot Lee <sopwith at redhat.com> wrote:
> >On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Kim Lux (Mr.) wrote:
> >
> >> I did a freshen of both Qt and Glibc and now I've got prelink and ld
> >> running as root !!!!???? Prelink is stealing all my cpu cycles.  What is
> >> up with that ?  I finally had to kill it..
> >
> >prelink speeds up app startup - it does the work once to save startup
> >times repeatedly.
>
> I'm not convinced, for my pattern of usage at least, that the game is
> worth the candle.  On my laptop I start my desktop, a few xterms and
> maybe Mozilla, then leave them running.  Any time that might be saved
> on startup is outweighed by the inconvenience of having the system become
> unresponsive when anacron kicks in to perform the prelinking.  Which
> always seems to happen at the most awkward moment.  (Yes, I know I can
> turn it off.  And I have.)
>
> Prelink seems to do an enormous amount of work when it runs.  Have the
> developers checked that all of this effort is really necessary?
>
> What might help would be the ability to limit the resources (CPU, disk
> I/O, whatever) that are used by background processes.  Nice is nice, but
> not powerful enough.  Something like cpucap
>
>    http://www.rshk.co.uk/projects/cpucap/
>
> would seem to be a better option.

agreed. But as far as i know, the CPU is seldom the limiting factor when
running a multi-tasking OS such as Linux. And i am using a 650 Mhz. What
i mean, is that i hardly notice when the CPU is chrunching away at full
speed, but when something hits disk (updatedb and sometimes memory
(OpenOffice dictionary load) hard - it is noticed.