Gnome won't fire up for non root users

Chiodini, Robert Robert.Chiodini-1 at ksc.nasa.gov
Wed Nov 3 15:21:53 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 09:37, Martin Hanneghan wrote:
> All of a sudden, Gnome has stopped working if I attempt to login to
> FC3 test 3 as a non-root user. Even if I create a new user, they can't
> login. I've tried deleting all the .gnome related files and
> directories for the user but to no avail.
>
> Any suggestions how to fix this (or why it happened?) - I'm guessing
> some permissions have got corrupted somewhere since root still has a
> Gnome graphical desktop.
>
> Non-graphical login works fine (e.g. failsafe term or logging into a
> console window outside of X). XFCE works fine but KDE is bombing out
> too saying the session lasted less than 10 seconds...
>
> Regards
> Martin

Change to init level 3 (telinit 3), then:

Check and correct the permissions of (or maybe delete) the following in
/tmp

.ICE-unix/*
.X0-lock
.X11-unix
orbit-*
gconfd-*

In past releases, I've usually deleted .ICE-unix, .X0-lock, and
.X11-unix, but I haven't had the problem in Fedora.

Also check/correct the permissions of the /tmp directory itself.  Mine
is

drwxrwxrwt   19 root     root         8192 Nov  3 10:09 /tmp

Bob...