Recognising Partitions

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Nov 3 18:17:33 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 13:28 -0700, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 01:23:51PM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> >
> > It did disappear on purpose, however you may remove this section
> >
> >   <!-- Dont want to mount non-hotpluggable fixed disks since ideraid
> >        detection isnt complete as hald wrongly detects e.g. partitions
> >        from some IDE RAID controllers -->
> >   <device>
> >     <match key="storage.hotpluggable" bool="false">
> >       <match key="storage.removable" bool="false">
> >         <merge key="storage.policy.should_mount"
> > type="bool">false</merge>
> >       </match>
> >     </match>
> >   </device>
> >
> > from your /usr/share/hal/fdi/90systempolicy/storage-policy.fdi but do
> > note that this may be replaced on hal updates.
>
> A question.  If one will drop into /usr/share/hal/fdi/95....
> a .fdi file which looks like that fragment above but with
>
>     <merge key="storage.policy.should_mount"
>            type="bool">true</merge>
>
> will be this not an override for whatever happen to be system
> defaults?

No, that would be a bit dangerous as we blacklist other things as well
(such as SCSI drives except optical ones).

> > (right now we may wrongly add entries for block devices stemming from
> > IDE RAID controllers, that's partly why we pulled this feature).
>
> As far as I understand this is only one of possible nasty suprises
> with "should_mount" set to widely to "true".  Some of them we may
> yet to see. :-)

Well, if you find a bug in the filesystem probing code let us know.

> OTOH if there would be application allowing 'root' to generate
> these XML files without doing that "raw", and while presenting a
> clear picture of keys and values, that would be nice.

Not sure - ideally users shouldn't have to fine tune this.

For FC4 I hope to have an option in the installer for selecting the
default policy and one option would include "allow full use of all
storage devices" (including non-hotpluggable fixed drives, e.g. your FAT
and NTFS partitions), another one could be "read-only access to
hotpluggable drives" and of course an option to completely lock things
down (e.g. no entries are ever added to the /etc/fstab).

Cheers,
David