kernel, K3b: poor CDROM burning from usb_storage device

Kim Lux lux at diesel-research.com
Thu Nov 4 02:45:57 UTC 2004

Try as I might, I can't get k3b to burn data that resides on a USB
storage device on the fly.  (ie a USB connected IDE hard drive)

I attain read speeds of 25MB/sec with this device when copying files
from the USB storage device.  The CPU overhead associated with such
copies is about 3% on my machine.

Also K3B is exhibiting poor burning performance even when burning from
an image on the internal hard drive.  The CDROMs are rated at 16x
burning.  I could only burn them at 8x without experiencing a buffer
underflow.

I burnt the same CDROMs at 16 or 24x last week with a different
kernel.

I'm running 2.6.9-1.649 smp today.

--
Kim Lux (Mr.)  Diesel Research Inc