Backing up Evolution

Ricardo Veguilla veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu
Thu Nov 4 11:00:18 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 05:33 -0500, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 22:10 -0600, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 18:27 -0500, David Malcolm wrote:
> >

> > > You should also save the relevant GConf settings, below /apps/evolution
>
> That's ~/.gconf/apps/evolution

What David wrote is correct, "/apps/evolution" is the GConf path to the
evolution settings. "~/.gconf/apps/evolution" is file system path to
where the settings are actually stored, but that doesn't matter because
you shouldn't be accessing those files directly.

> > > gconftool-2 --dump /apps/evolution > some_file.xml
> > >
> > > (this is where your account data and preferences are stored)
> >
> > I was not aware of this - very cool info, thanks.
>
> Yup.  Have just been using tar archive/restore of ~/.gconf
> ~/.gnome2_private/Evolution and ~/.evolution

No need to tar anything if you use gconftool-2 to dump and/or load your
settings. Besides, if the next version of Gconf switches to a database
backend, you won't be able to restore your settings by restoring the
~/.gconf directory.

Regards,
--
Ricardo Veguilla <veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu>