CDROM optimizations? Udev ?

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at privatei.com
Fri Nov 5 00:14:40 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 09:28 -0700, Kim Lux wrote:
> Could I ask some people to run hdparm on their cdroms and report their
> findings to the list ?
>
> ie: $/sbin/hdparm /dev/hdc     (typically, some CDROMs might mount
> elsewhere.)
>
> We've found some CDROMs are not optimized to use 32 bit access and with
> the irq still masked.  This might result in poor performance when using
> them as CD Burners or as a ripping source.

Mine have the problem.

First drive is a LiteOn 16X Dual Layer DVD+-RW:
/dev/hdc:
 HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Invalid argument
 IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    = 256 (on)
 HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument

The Second is a Sony 52X CD-RW:
/dev/hdd:
 HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Invalid argument
 IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    = 256 (on)
 HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument

These are the default settings on my system wrt these drives. HTH...

Cheers,

Chris

--
When the solution is simple,