FC3 box brings lan to its knees

Marc McAllister fedora-test-list at riddlermarc.net
Fri Nov 5 14:29:28 UTC 2004

Quoting "Mark W. Jeanmougin" <markj at jeanmougin.org>:

> Marc,
>
> This isn't really a suggestion, more of just another troubleshooting tip:
> If you can, replace the switch with a hub and run ethereal on your FC2 box
> to try to get an ida of what the new FC3 box does as it boots.  It almost
> sounds like the FC3 box is flooding the network with traffic, maybe.  Do
> you have a spare Ethernet card to try in the FC3 box?  Maybe it's gone
> flaky.  The timing of an Ethernet card dying at the same time as an OS
> upgrade is pretty bizarre though.
>
> Good luck, keep us posted!

Mark,

Thanks for the suggestion, however I know the nic (it is an onboard VIA gigabit
nic running on my 100mbps lan) works okay because it was running fine under Win
2003 Server until yesterday evening and it also works fine when using a Knoppix
cd.
I don't have a spare hub I'm afraid, I'm pretty much stuck with the
configuration that I have. I presume if I run ethereal from my FC2 box it will
not pick up anything "interesting" that is being broadcast from the FC3 box?

What things should I check on the FC3 box, are there any log files that will
show what happens during boot etc?

Regards,
Marc