FC3 box brings lan to its knees

Charles R. Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Fri Nov 5 14:52:23 UTC 2004

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 02:29:28PM +0000, Marc McAllister wrote:
> I don't have a spare hub I'm afraid, I'm pretty much stuck with the
> configuration that I have. I presume if I run ethereal from my FC2 box it will
> not pick up anything "interesting" that is being broadcast from the FC3 box?

The FC2 box should pick up broadcasts, but not unicasts after the
first one when the switch first learns where each MAC address is.

You could also try running ethereal on the FC3 box itself--it should
then capture all traffic.

> What things should I check on the FC3 box, are there any log files that will
> show what happens during boot etc?

Try ethtool and/or mii-diag to see what speed/duplex the NIC is
running at.  Compare that with the lights on the switch to see if the
speed and duplex are matched at both ends of the link.  If they
mismatch, then many errors could be generated.