FC3RC5 boot hung

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Nov 6 01:39:35 UTC 2004

On Friday 05 November 2004 17:34, Brian Callahan wrote:
>disable rhgb when the grup comes up. Just hit the "e" key then
> delete rhgb quiet
>
>BC
I saw that in a previous message kmails search found, did it.  Then
got into a no-screens hell for about 10 minutes before I gave up and
I was able to get to /etc/inittab and fix that too, with a 3.

Then I was able to eventually get x to run via the setup tools, but
not real well until I ran some other tool and set the monitor type.
But I had to fool with the color depth also, it seems the rage128
driver only support 24 bit settings, and anaconda set it for 16, and
I tried 32 with the same "no support for that bit depth" result.
Some sort oif a cheap card, 16 megs of ram according to one tool, but
I think half of it is trashed, when the screen blanker kicks in, one
must switch screens to get a total redraw or the unblanked screen is
trashed, heavily pixelated horizontally.

But ATM, everything I've tried seems to be working except ping to some
locations.  My home network looks like this

192.168.xx.1 gene.coyote.den [gateway/firewall box]<->rtr<->dsl modem
192.168.xx.2 amiga.coyote.den, offline for good I think
192.168.xx.3 coyote.coyote.den
192.168.xx.4 shop.coyote.den  < the new FC3RC5 install

The router is a linksys, the usual home variety "something or other
41".

There is a netgear 8 port switch connecting all the machines so all
routing and dns lookups are on gene.

I can ping that 'shop' box from coyote
I can get to the internet from 'shop' just fine
I cannot ping 'coyote' from 'shop'
I can ping 'gene' from shop.

There was a time when I had FC2 on 'shop', and all ping directions
worked.  If anybody has seen this particular duck, yell please.

Thanks for the reply Brian, I appreciate it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)