Proliant CSB-6 Raid Drivers for Fedora

AWC Maillists maillists at awcconsulting.com
Sat Nov 6 14:19:15 UTC 2004

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

>>Errr, you do if the Kernel does not even recognize the controller drives
>>at all.  (Which it does not with this esoteric controller.)
>

> if I can see lspci and lspci -n maybe we can add that.
>

>> And I am
>>always amazed how people seems to think using software raid is as good a
>>solution as using hardware raid.  Come on, there is no comparison,
>>hardware RAID is faster and more reliable and has little to no CPU
>>overhead.  Software raid can be CPU intensive and not as reliable.
>

> Note that we're talking about csb6 raid here. That *IS* software raid.
> You just get it from a binary driver instead of an open linux driver;
> but it's still software raid done by the main cpu.

Hmmm, I thought the CSB-6 was a low end hardware RAID.  You configure
the RAID in the HP BIOS - at least that is the way it works with the
HP/Compaq implemtation - it is built into the motherboard.  It also only
supports RAID1, which does not support the RAID I want (RAID5), so I
admittedly gave up on getting the CSB-6 from working without much of a
fight.

Given the BIOS requirement I thought that would mean this is hardware
based.  (As you set up the array in bios even.)  Of course, it is
getting awfully confusing with all the "RAID" controllers that are being
installed onto lower-end motherboards.  By what you are saying it sounds
like these "RAID" controllers are kind of like Winmodems... offloading
the real work to the CPU and OS.  Or am I still not getting this right??

I will try and get you the output of lspci and pspci -n for you to look
at soon.