Fedora Core 2 Test Update: wget-1.9.1-16.fc2

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Sat Nov 6 20:55:16 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 23:07 -0400, Andrew wrote:
> Good evening Rob,
>

> Rob van Nieuwkerk wrote:
> >
> > I think it is good to quote the *relevant* part of the posting you are
> > replying to in a reply:
> >
> > - it makes a reply easier to understand: you can put your reply lines
> >   exactly under the right line of the original text if necessary.
> >

> Rather than making it easier to understand, the quote only provides immediate
> context.  Sometimes that makes things  easier to understand, but sometimes not.
> This, however, is not a forum for a discussion of epistemology.

Well you made me look that one up - not a word an engineer uses a lot...

According to Principia Cybernetica - first Google entry:

Epistemology is the branch of philosophy that studies knowledge. It
attempts to answer the basic question: what distinguishes true
(adequate) knowledge from false (inadequate) knowledge?

> snip <

> I doubt however, that an appeal to
> etiquette could be legitimately sustained when one considers that the use of
> humor while correcting another is indistinguishable from sarcasm.

Been on both ends of that one.

> Finally, let me apologize for committing one of the greatest sins against mailing list
> etiquette, i.e., hijacking the thread. --

Think that had already happened at least once before you jumped in, but
guess I just compounded the sin. ;^)

Thanks for the linguistic refresher.  These hijacked threads can
occasionally yield some enlightenment.

Phil